From: Jesse McNelis <jessta@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Stage1/2 deprecation from Gentoo Handbook
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 11:35:40
On 11/7/05, Xavier Neys <neysx@g.o> wrote:
> Peter Humphrey wrote: > > On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 19:27:26 +0100 > > Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> wrote: > > > >>I'd like to have the stages/ directory only contain stage3 files and > >>have the stage1/2's in experimental or similar. > > I suppose those stages will still be released. I'd like to have them available > for the *very rare* occasions they are actually needed. > Anyway, there's no point discussing that here as we're not reaching the right > audience. > > > If most of us are to be advised to use only stage 3 for installation, > > Everyone is already advised to use stage3 > > > that will remove one of the main advantages of Gentoo, namely having > > everything compiled on the machine it's running on. > > That choice is not removed at all. > FWIW, it's not the main advantage of Gentoo, flexibility is IMHO. > > It has already been said many times and it has already been translated into > several languages, so for the umpteenth time, it is *faster* and less error > prone to use a stage3, edit your CFLAGS/USE flags and recompile everything. > > > Regards, > -- > / Xavier Neys > \_ Gentoo Documentation Project > / French & Internationalisation Lead > \ > /\ > -- > gentoo-doc@g.o mailing list > >
I reckon stage1/2 should be removed from the handbook, but should still be mentioned with a warning that users should expect that it might not work if they don't follow the instructions carefully. I agree that stage1/2 is a great learning experience. Gentoo was my first linux distro and stage1 wasn't that hard. - Jesse McNelis -- ===================== Don't worry, This isn't spam ===================== Dairy!* is back @ Running on the Wonderful Gentoo GNU/Linux Melbourne Wireless Node: GNE -- gentoo-doc@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-doc] Stage1/2 deprecation from Gentoo Handbook "Jan Kundrát" <jkt@g.o>