From: Jose Luis Rivero <yoswink@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Organization of documentation on gentoo.org
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 01:50:01
1 Hi Craig:
2
3 On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 04:40:24PM -0800, Craig Finch wrote:
4 > This is really confusing, and even after years of using Gentoo, I still have to hunt around to find out where to look. I propose to remove "About Gentoo", "Philosophy", and "Social Contract" from the Documentation heading, because they don't fit with everything else that we call docs. I propose to replace all of the above with the following simple structure:
5 >
6 > Documentation:
7 > ----------------
8 > Overview
9 > Gentoo Handbook
10 > Documentation Listing
11 >
12 > About:
13 >
14 > ----------------
15 > About Gentoo
16 >
17 > Philosophy
18 >
19 > Social Contract
20 >
21 > "Overview" links to the page http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml
22 > "Gentoo Handbook" stays the same
23 > "Documentation Listing" stays the same
26 I agree with you in this new layout but I would like to make some
27 considerations to your idea:
28
29 > The page "Installation Docs" is unnecessary--the paragraphs at the top are duplicates of the text on the "documentation home" page, and the links below are unneeded because the "Documentation Listing" has the installation docs conveniently grouped at the top of the list.
30
31 "Installation Docs" is (talking about xml source) the same page as
32 "documentation home" (index.xml) this is the reason why you see the same
33 (but not duplicated) text.
34
35 I really like the "Installation Docs" page, which gives the user a quick
36 overview about the diferents levels and options we offer to install
37 Gentoo and not only the well-known handbook. The quick-guides for non
38 new users, the lot of times forgotten networless handbook and some more
39 advanced or exotic options like raid+lvm, bsd or alternative
40 installation guide.
41
42 I'm for keeping this link but I'm also for keeping the number of documentation
43 main page links in three so .. my vote goes to change handbook direct
44 link to this one. We would keep the handbook as the main option since is
45 the first link in this page.
46
47 Another good option to me is to use the documentation listing in full
48 mode (list.xml?desc=1) which gives a more elaborated image (and provides
49 extra information) than lots of categorized links with no further description.
50
51 Thanks.
54 Jose Luis Rivero <yoswink@g.o>
55 Gentoo/Doc Gentoo/Alpha