From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-doc] Not placing /proc in /etc/fstab
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 19:07:07
1 Per bug #186814, Gentoo users don't have to place /proc in their
2 /etc/fstab anymore. The /sbin/rc script automatically mounts /proc
3 anyway (unless you set RC_USE_FSTAB="yes" in /etc/conf.d/rc which
4 isn't the default).
5
6 That said, I'd rather let this remain in /etc/fstab. First, it doesn't
7 hurt. Second, it might confuse users if it isn't set (particularly
8 sparc users who need to mount /proc/openprom but not /proc). And
9 third: it is not because /sbin/rc by default mounts it that we don't
10 have to document it anymore.
11
12 For instance, if rc suddenly started checking the content of every
13 partition to decide where to mount it (partitions with home
14 directories -> /home, partitions with application data -> /usr, etc.)
15 users wouldn't need to fill in /etc/fstab anymore (okay, crude and
16 surreal example) even though this file is very important for a Linux
17 system.
18
19 So I rather let this remain in the handbook. If that's okay for you
20 guys, I'll say so in the bug and leave it as-is.
21
22 Wkr,
23 Sven Vermeulen
24 --