From: "Rafał" <bodyguard83@××.pl>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Odp: [gentoo-doc] Installation handbook improvements
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 05:47:13
1 Welcome
2 You should send this message to general list. Your idea is great.
3
4 My reguards
5 R.Woroniecki
6
7 Dnia 23-08-2010 o godz. 17:42 Maciej Grela napisa³(a):
8 > Hi,
9 >
10 > I've been recently trying to install Gentoo on a new machine and
11 > noticed, that the x86/amd64
12 > Installation Handbook could use a few updates to better reflect the
13 > reality of today`s Linux.
14 > I`d like to add the following things (most important first):
15 >
16 > 1. Replace the 'fdisk' with 'parted' in the partitioning section.
17 > 'cfdisk' could be also mentioned.
18 > A notice about MSDOS and GPT disk labels could be added to help people
19 > with large disk drives
20 > which cannot be partitioned in the legacy way.
21 >
22 > 2. Write about configuring wpa_supplicant for basic PSK in the
23 > "Preparing for Wireless Access"
24 > section. No one uses WEP anymore.
25 >
26 > 3. Add ext4 to the list of supported filesystems.
27 >
28 > 4. In the "8.a. Filesystem Information" describe the ability to define
29 > block devices using
30 > UUID="" and LABEL="", this approach is much better than hardcoding
31 > device names.
32 >
33 > 5. Remove the chapter dealing with LILO. I don't think anyone uses
34 > that bootloader anymore.
35 >
36 > What do you think about these proposals ? Also, will posting bugs for
37 > every change with
38 > guidexml patches attached be the proper way to handle this ?
39 >
40 > Best regards,
41 > Maciej Grela