From: "Łukasz Damentko" <rane@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] [RFC] Marking unmaintained documents
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 21:17:27
1 Hi,
2
3 On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 01:00:27 +0400
4 Alexey Chumakov <achumakov@×××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > After some extensive work with mostly outdated Russian docs, I tend to
7 > agree with Jan--we need some means to signal an outdated translation.
8 >
9 > My proposition is somewhat simpler --
10 >
11 > 1. Let the reader decide if the document is outdated :-)
12
13 Do we need so? It's easy to see in overview.xml page whether it's rusty
14 translation or not. For me there's no need to employ users to do
15 that...
16
17 > 2. It's also useful to introduce some link like "send comments here..."
18 > directly into document, and point it to GDP [internalization] page in
19 > the document's language.
20 > E.g. many Russian readers do not realize easily where to post their bug
21 > reports and suggestions...
22
23 Could be
24 http://bugs.gentoo.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Docs-user&component=Translated%20Documentation&short_desc=[$LANG
25 from <guide>] - to point them directly to reporting page.
26 Possible drawback could be abuse of that and rain of silly bugs.
27 It's also worth to note that not every reader is signed up to bugzie
28 and wants/has time to be...
29
30 > 3. For unofficial languages, IMHO there is no need to do anything if
31 > there's no index reference to it.
32 > And 3rd party articles are already marked :-)
33
34 Many times they are linked from third-party pages, sometimes are
35 bookmarked, so on, don't think that if they aren't in index, they
36 won't be noticed...
37
38 Summarising: I like the idea of some sort of "If you notice a bug,
39 please <uri link="somwhere in bugzie">let us</uri> know". It could be
40 somewhere near current abstract and date fields...
41
42 with regards,
43
44 Łukasz Damentko