From: tserra@××××××××××××××.pt
To: gentoo-embedded@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Welcome
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 18:58:22
On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 14:57:19 -0800
david@×××××××××.com wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 04:40:39PM -0600, nDiScReEt wrote: > > <snip> > > I'd suggest you use glibc at the moment. A uClibc-based build will be > > incompatible with all the pre-existing binaries. > > > > p. > > <snip> > > > > Well that's all find and dandy in the binary distro world. But we're > gentoo people ;-) binaries ? rpms ? debs ? I jedi craves not these > things. >
I dont either, but how are we going to build apps on this slow systems? Build them on a desktop with a toolchain, build them in the embedded system with distcc? sure, but if I want to build on my ipaq without a distccd farm or time on my hands?
> uClibc does not "gaurantee" binary compatability among releases. Some > of the releases keep it, some don't. I don't think it would be a big > deal to have a flag in the ebuilds that said "ABI has changed, > recompile all packages" >
> The storage savings in embedded systems with uClibc is worth FAR > more(to me) than the occasionaly total system recompile. Especially > if distcc gets to the point where you can distcc your cross > compiles....</wish> > Dave > > -- > gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list
-- [-- Tiago Serra (aka cha0s) -- Key fingerprint: FC58 3001 1A0A 985E 9851 F428 1164 2F0B 8D66 2596 -- Pub key: Grand Master Turing once dreamed that he was a machine. When he awoke he exclaimed: "I don't know whether I am Turing dreaming that I am a machine, or a machine dreaming that I am Turing!" --]