From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Cc: ikrabbe.ask@×××.de
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] file system question
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 12:07:37
1 On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 10:40:25 +0200
2 Ingo Krabbe wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 06:42:15PM -0400, David Relson wrote:
5 > > G'day,
6 > >
7 > > I'm porting the software for an embedded medical device from DOS to
8 > > Linux and am wondering which file systems are appropriate and which
9 > > are not. The device's mass storage is a Disk-on-Module solid state
10 > > flash drive. Data is presently written at approx 100 bytes every
11 > > 30 seconds but that might change to 100 bytes every second. The
12 > > device has a watchdog (recently activated) and during today's
13 > > session it was triggered and wiped out my file system.
14 > >
15 > > Anybody have recommendations on which file system to use and the
16 > > appropriate settings?
17 > >
18 > > Anybody have suggested readings so I can educate myself?
19 >
20 > First I would read about Wear Levelling (Wikipedia). Maybe your
21 > device already implements TrueFFS or ExtremeFFS with low-level wear
22 > levelling, so it might be enough to just use any other file system
23 > upon. Then I would choose a simple ext2 file system, though I can't
24 > tell the wear levelling really works. Are there methods to debug
25 > that?
26 >
27 > I think the best choose for you might be a JFFS2 Filesystem. Or just
28 > choose one from "Flash file system" in Wikipedia.
29 >
30 > bye ingo
31
32 Hello Ingo,
33
34 I've been using ext2 and have encountered some problems. In addition
35 to porting from DOS to Linux, the PC-104 board that has been used for
36 years has reached end-of-life, so there's a new PC-104 board that's
37 also involved. With the new board life has been good. With the old
38 board a file system problem has been encountered many times.
39
40 For reasons totally unclear (at least to me), all of a sudden a file
41 can't be read or a shared library doesn't load. When I check using ls,
42 the message "Stale NFS file handle" appears. The device has _never_
43 been on a network, so NFS doesn't actually play any role in the
44 device's life cycle.
45
46 This has been happening at least a couple of times a week for the last
47 month. Often it happens several times in the same day. The file
48 handle problem has only happened with the old board, never with the
49 new. As there are several thousand "old board" devices in use, the
50 Linux port needs to support them.
51
52 FWIW, the cpu is a 486 and we're using the 2.6.29.6 kernel.
53
54 Regards,
55
56 David
57
58 P.S. The "flash file system" suggestion is appreciated! I'll check
59 into it.