From: AJ Armstrong <aja@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] uClibc vs. Glibc
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 01:45:55
Quoth He:
> I went with uClibc > because it appeared to support more of the applications that I needed to > use.
I agree - the advantage to uClibc is that its developers took a great deal of trouble to maintain as much interface compatibility with glibc - a great advantage for porting code (quite often, code will recompile with no changes). Other libraries that sacrifice compatibility for (usually) space are useful for special purposes - for example, if you are only going to be using a small subset of the C libraries for a particular project. My sense is that we are going with a general-purpose embedded development environment, and thus cannot predict what library features will be needed, thus I think that uClibc would be the best way to go - at least for the outset. This is not saying that we shouldn't explore optionally making other libraries available, but its probably best to not stir up to much complexity before we even have a working preliminary build. -- ---------------------------------- aja@×××××××××××××.com qui tacet consentire videtur -- gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list