From: david@×××××××××.com
To: gentoo-embedded@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Welcome
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 22:59:43
On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 04:40:39PM -0600, nDiScReEt wrote:
> <snip> > I'd suggest you use glibc at the moment. A uClibc-based build will be > incompatible with all the pre-existing binaries. > > p. > <snip> >
Well that's all find and dandy in the binary distro world. But we're gentoo people ;-) binaries ? rpms ? debs ? I jedi craves not these things. uClibc does not "gaurantee" binary compatability among releases. Some of the releases keep it, some don't. I don't think it would be a big deal to have a flag in the ebuilds that said "ABI has changed, recompile all packages" The storage savings in embedded systems with uClibc is worth FAR more(to me) than the occasionaly total system recompile. Especially if distcc gets to the point where you can distcc your cross compiles....</wish> Dave -- gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-embedded] Welcome tserra@××××××××××××××.pt