From: Christopher Harvey <chris@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] generating root file systems
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 16:05:56
I was wondering if there was any interest in adding a script that could
generate a bootable linux filesystem from a cross compiled target
For example:

arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi-make-root   (or any arch)

which would do something like:

cp -ar /usr/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi /tmp/target
mkdir /tmp/target/proc
mkdir -p /tmp/target/var/run
#generate an inittab
then perform a mix of the following:
checks to make sure that all required packages are present to make a
system bootable
package specific setup like starting services if ssh servers are
create device nodes
set root password
call hooks in ~/.crossdev-makeroot/
install kernel modules
warn about missing packages that could be useful.
package a cpio (or something else depending on passed options)

I've got a script that is a mix of my own stuff plus some stuff I
ripped off buildroot. I find it really handy, but isn't a general enough
to work on anything except my own boards.

It's kinda tricky to write a script that will work for most users out
of the box since I only have a couple of embedded machines, so I was
wondering how many people would be interested and how many people could
test on their own boards. I was thinking I could create an ebuild and a
git repo then let people hack at it and see where it goes, and how many
boards it can support at once.

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-embedded] generating root file systems Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>