From: David <dharty.com@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] real time linux
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 00:57:40
1 >How do I no if need a real time OS?
2
3 Ask yourself the following questions:
4 Do you have hard real-time constraints? i.e.
5 Do you have a task that needs to run exactly every nth millisecond
6 (or microseconds)?
7 Do you have tasks that must run in under n milliseconds, every time?
8 Do you need to be able to determine and rely on the maximum time a
9 task may take?
10
11 If you answered yes to any of these questions you need a real-time system.
12
13 I used milliseconds in the questions above, although technically
14 speaking, any time deadline (seconds, minutes, hours, days...) could be
15 considered a real-time constraint. However if your deadlines are that
16 long you probably don't need real-time capabilities.
17
18 And Heath, you are correct, stock Linux (even embedded) is not an RTOS.
19 There are real-time linuxes (?) out there that purport to support hard,
20 real-time constraints (eg timesys) similar to Lynx, vxWorks or
21 Integrity. I have worked with people who were using timesys's linux,
22 and they were largely happy with the performance (latency). I believe
23 you can get the timesys libraries for free, but the toolchains (cross
24 compiler, linker...) will cost you. There are free distros claiming
25 real-time, but I cannot comment on their performance.
26
27 David
30 Francisco Ares wrote:
31
32 >Anything in portage? Could not find it yet.
33 >
34 >And I have some doubts, if anyone could point me to some links,
35 >specially benchmarks, I would really appreciate:
36 >
37 >How do I no if need a real time OS?
38 >Should I rely only on the preemptibility of the 2.6 kernels?
39 >Which real time Linux flavor is best for which types of applications?
42 >Thanks a lot
43 >Francisco
48 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list