From: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] GPS board
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 21:06:45
1 On 04/14/12 14:38, Peter Stuge wrote:
2 > wireless wrote:
3 >> I have not formally researched open source mapping efforts, so
4 >> any feedback on that issue is keenly welcome.
5 >
6 > Start with http://openstreetmap.org/
7 > //Peter
8
9 EXCELLENT!
10
11 OK so to help create maps, I'm think of designing (cobbling together
12 initially) a gps, and a (water) depth reading output, so in a boat, I
13 can begin mapping the near shore environment.
14
15 How does open street map data get created and are there existing
16 open source embedded boards one can buy, install in a car and help
17 extend/enhance the data collected? Or, roll your own?
18
19 It seem they already have the land methodologies developed, what
20 about near-shore marine? Any open source software efforts for that
21 yet?
22
23 In the past I did run across some for when you are out in the
24 wilderness, but, I did not save the links.....
25
26 I just got my account, so I'll be looking into
27 opensteetmap...
30 James