From: "Morgan
To: "'gentoo-embedded@l.g.o'" <gentoo-embedded@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-embedded] Modular X and libgcc?
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 16:03:06
I use gentoo embedded with glibc (required for dosemu don't ask).  I do not
on the other hand use X.  Which gcc version you use to compile is the one
you should include.  I ran into a similar issue, I use a cross compiler as
opposed to the stages that are most commonly used here.  If you are using
stages in a chroot environment then get your library from there if you are
using a cross compiler, or your standard i686 compiler optimized for the C3
cpu then you can copy the one you listed.

Thing to note about the Via C3.  There are many versions all under the same
moniker.  The Via C3-2 (Nehemiah) will run as a 686 using SSE.  The Via C3
before model 9 does not have the cmov instruction therefore it must be
compiled as i586 unless you apply a patchset to gcc.  If you don't know
which you are using pre model 9's have 3dnow, model 9+ has sse exclusively.
I use the C3-2 which means that I do not have to use some of the fancy
tricks other use to get my embedded system working.  I use the cross
compiler tools to maintain a separate compiler so I don't have to worry
about gentoo upgrading mine in the future.

Austin Morgan