From: "Jörg Faschingbauer" <joerg.faschingbauer@×××.at>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] gentoo baselayout "Attempted to kill init"
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 07:04:43
1 On Thu, 2011-04-21 at 16:18 -0500, chris@××××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > I've got a filesystem created with the following toolchain: (from
3 > crossdev)
4 >
5 > arm-unknown-linux-gnu-
6 >
7 > with
8 >
9 > arm-unknown-linux-gnu-emerge system
10 > arm-unknown-linux-gnu-emerge baselayout
11 >
12 > I created the kernel separately, and was able to boot it with another
13 > filesystem that was created by somebody else.
14 >
15 > During the boot process the kernel says "Attempted to kill init"
16 > because the /init program exited for some reason.
17 > The problem is that I can't get any other error from the init program.
18 > I have no idea why it's exiting. It could be a missing library, segfault
19 > or bad invocation, so I have no idea where to start.
20
21 Provided that /init is an executable:
22
23 If the instruction set that the root filesystem was compiled for doesn't
24 match your architecture's, then it's an "illegal instruction" signal
25 that bites init. This usually happens quite early, before any
26 configuration error is seen.
27
28 You can verify this by building your own busybox-only tree with the same
29 toolchain you built the kernel with. Choose a static build
30 (CONFIG_STATIC, "Busybox Settings"/"Build Options"/"blah static blah").
31 Copy init and all that it needs (glibc?) over from your real rootfs into
32 your small tree. Boot the kernel into the small tree, passing it
33 init=/bin/sh (which is busybox). Call /init and see what happens.
34
35 Alternatively, you could augment your tree with busybox, by installing
36 it into it. Boot into the tree, but with init=/bin/sh (the augmented
37 busybox).
38
39 Have fun,
40 Joerg