From: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Cc: cfriedt@××××××××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Would TS Host a public Wiki + portage overlay?
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 14:36:34
1 Christopher Friedt wrote:
2 > Sorry, wrong list :)
3 >
4 > Christopher Friedt wrote:
5
6 >> Hi TS guys,
7 >>
8 >> Would you be willing to host a public Wiki & portage overlay? I've
9 >> been using portage for quite some time and now I can say that it's
10 >> starting to be quite easy to just 'emerge' packages for the TS boards.
13 If TS or Gentoo is not willing to, I'd be willing to host a moderately
14 small website, until a larger (bandwidth) drop cold be found.
15
16 I have a single static IP and cable modem access 5M down 800k up, so
17 we'd have to keep the design conservative on bandwidth.
20 >> I would definitely be willing to write the draft howto's to help
21 >> everyone else get started who was interested. And I would certainly be
22 >> willing to contribute any ebuilds and patches that I've already come
23 >> across.
26 Well I'd be willing to test your work on a TS-7260. I already have a
27 TS-5500 and have not pursued these boards any further, due to
28 a lack of 2.6 kernel support (and access to the JTAG port).
29
30 >> Aside from building various kernels, modules, etc, what I've done so
31 >> far is:
32 >>
33 >> rebuild glibc userlands from scratch
34 >> rebuild uclibc userlands from scratch
35 >> (using the 2.6 linux kernel headers for compilation)
36 >>
37 >> created patches (mainly for +minimal installs) and corresponding ebuilds
38 >>
39 >> set up several preference files in /etc, like
40 >> /etc/portage/package.{use,mask,unmask} and also savedconfigs for
41 >> uclibc and busybox.
42 >>
43 >> The packages that I've emerged with all of my work range from basic
44 >> things like busybox and zlib to jamvm, gnu-classpath, ftp-servers, and
45 >> even custom software.
46 >>
47 >> After some level of stability has been reached, it's quite likely that
48 >> the gentoo people would host all of the howto documentation and even
49 >> merge some of the ebuild modifications into their own trees.
50
51 If you do not find satisfaction with TS or gentoo-embedded, drop me
52 some private email.
53
54 James
59 >> Does that sound like something TS would be willing to put up?
62 >> Cheers,
63 >>
64 >> ~/Chris
67 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list