From: Sergey Mironov <ierton@×××××.com>
To: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] glibc+iconv
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 10:12:07
1 2011/10/14 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>:
2 > On Thursday 13 October 2011 19:30:14 Sergey Mironov wrote:
3 >> 2011/10/14 Mike Frysinger:
4 >> > On Thursday 13 October 2011 15:15:40 Sergey Mironov wrote:
5 >> >> Hello. I have my arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi system which uses glibc and
6 >> >> busybox. Recently I realised that iconv program doesn't exist in the
7 >> >> tree. I've compared host's and target's glibc file lists and found
8 >> >> that arm's version doesn't install anything to
9 >> >> /usr/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/usr/bin. What can be the cause of this?
10 >> >> Small C program shows that iconv_open function returns error code just
11 >> >> like if there is no iconv at all. How shoud I make arm's iconv work?
12 >> >
13 >> > see glibc's files/eblits/src_compile.eblit:
14 >> >        is_crosscompile && sed -i '1ibuild-programs = no' config.make
15 >> >
16 >> > i imagine disabling that line will get you `iconv`
17 >>
18 >> Thanks, I will try it!  Am I understand correctly that iconv itself
19 >> (library, not program) is a part of glibc and it is not possible to
20 >> exclude it during the build? So despite the lack of program I should
21 >> still have fully functional library.
22 >
23 > your understanding is correct, however ........
24 >
25 > iconv() is part of glibc but it relies on all of the gconv shared libs found
26 > in /usr/$CTARGET/usr/lib/gconv/ to do its actually work.  which we also
27 > incidentally delete when building the cross-compiler glibc (see
28 > src_install.eblit and look for "gconv").
29 >
30 > you aren't the first person to find this behavior undesirable, and when i
31 > implemented it, it was more of "let's save space on things i don't think
32 > anyone will use".  but if people are using it, then installing these things
33 > probably makes sense.
34 > -mike
37 Well, maybe I really want something strange. I guess, people often
38 install another, non-cross-compiled version of glibc on top of initial
39 one. I've tried to do so, but found that cross-emerge complains about
40 conflicts - it simply doesn't treat initial glibc as a package
41 installed on target. I saw 2 ways - either edit package.provided and
42 don't install new glibc or disable conflicts detection and overwrite
43 some target's /lib* and /usr/lib/* files. I've chosen first way since
44 I am afraid of getting a mess of two glibc's compiled with different
45 tools. But how do you (or other people) act in this situation?
46
47 By the way, I also had to handcopy libstdc++.so from
48 /usr/lib/gcc/$CTARGET to /usr/$CTARGET/lib to make C++ programs work.
49 It is another thing which makes me thinking of installig full glibc on
50 top of cross-one.
51
52 Sergey