From: Jeroen <dystopia@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-embedded@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] Floppies & Dietlibc
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 06:44:55
Hello all,

Hmm i'm interested in porting apps to dietlibc, for usage on a floppy.
After a small chat on #gentoo-embedded with several people working on
Gentoo-Embedded i found out nobody is interested in using Dietlibc,
people prefer uClibc for various reasons. Therefore my question is: IS
anybody interested in helping on this effort?

I've got little experience porting apps to Dietlibc with Dietlinux,
adding addons to it like Netcat. But, i'm willing to learn anything for
this purpose.

Why on a floppy? For me it's for a Free (non-profit) radio to allow
their current Windows boxes to be replaced by a Free OS running on a
floppy, doing exactly the same as they're currently doing: using
multiple boxes to stream from live input to an IceCast server. My plan
is to use LiveIce for that. I can think of various other cool reasons to
run Linux on a floppy, letting one decide what should be exactly on it,
using Gentoo.

Why Dietlibc? Because it creates smaller binaries than uClibc, making
it more suitable for floppies than uClibc.

My general plan is to integrate certain diffs with certain versions of a
program which do work. If a user selects Dietlibc in USE variable,
s/he'll get a perhaps older version, but it'll at least work using
Dietlibc. In the case of an important bug or security hazard the older
version will be patched against that.

I've found various diffs for Dietlibc and several apps

Is anyone interested using Dietlibc for Gentoo? In porting apps to it?
For floppies, for example?
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

100% Microsoft free. You could be too!