From: Jeroen <dystopia@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-embedded@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] Floppies & Dietlibc
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 06:44:55
1 Hello all,
2
3 Hmm i'm interested in porting apps to dietlibc, for usage on a floppy.
4 After a small chat on #gentoo-embedded with several people working on
5 Gentoo-Embedded i found out nobody is interested in using Dietlibc,
6 people prefer uClibc for various reasons. Therefore my question is: IS
7 anybody interested in helping on this effort?
8
9 I've got little experience porting apps to Dietlibc with Dietlinux,
10 adding addons to it like Netcat. But, i'm willing to learn anything for
11 this purpose.
12
13 Why on a floppy? For me it's for a Free (non-profit) radio to allow
14 their current Windows boxes to be replaced by a Free OS running on a
15 floppy, doing exactly the same as they're currently doing: using
16 multiple boxes to stream from live input to an IceCast server. My plan
17 is to use LiveIce for that. I can think of various other cool reasons to
18 run Linux on a floppy, letting one decide what should be exactly on it,
19 using Gentoo.
20
21 Why Dietlibc? Because it creates smaller binaries than uClibc, making
22 it more suitable for floppies than uClibc.
23
24 My general plan is to integrate certain diffs with certain versions of a
25 program which do work. If a user selects Dietlibc in USE variable,
26 s/he'll get a perhaps older version, but it'll at least work using
27 Dietlibc. In the case of an important bug or security hazard the older
28 version will be patched against that.
29
30 I've found various diffs for Dietlibc and several apps
31 ftp://foobar.math.fu-berlin.de:2121/pub/dietlibc/diffs
32 http://www.math.fu-berlin.de/~dreesen/diet_it/
33
34 Is anyone interested using Dietlibc for Gentoo? In porting apps to it?
35 For floppies, for example?
36
37 Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,
38 Jeroen
42 100% Microsoft free. You could be too!
45 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list