From: Joshua ChaitinPollak <jpollak@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] Embedded Howto comments
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 23:20:15
1 I just wanted to comment that when you follow the 0.8 (or Gentoo-ized
2 howto), it directs you to use an older profile.
3
4 When you try and emerge, portage warns that the profile is
5 deprecated. If you use the new profile:
6
7 uclibc/x86/2005.1/2.4
8
9 Building the system works very well and everything went smoothly.
10 When using this profile, I had no trouble with the following:
11
12 1) No workarounds for bootstrapping or emerging the system
13 2) The kernel compiles without trouble (no intl.h issue)
14
15 This profile seems to have the 2.6.x kernels masked though, so I'm
16 using 2.4.30, which is what you get when you emerge vanilla-sources.
17
18 Anyway, that's been working very smoothly for me.
19
20 I'm having to do a PXE/DHCP/TFTP/NFS boot to bootstrap my embedded
21 device. If I wrote up a bit on how to go about doing this, would
22 someone integrate this into the Gentoo Embedded Howto?
23
24 -Josh
27 Joshua ChaitinPollak
28 Software Engineer