From: Joshua ChaitinPollak <jpollak@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] Embedded Howto comments
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 23:20:15
I just wanted to comment that when you follow the 0.8 (or Gentoo-ized
howto), it directs you to use an older profile.

When you try and emerge, portage warns that the profile is
deprecated. If you use the new profile:

Building the system works very well and everything went smoothly.
When using this profile, I had no trouble with the following:

1) No workarounds for bootstrapping or emerging the system
2) The kernel compiles without trouble (no intl.h issue)

This profile seems to have the 2.6.x kernels masked though, so I'm
using 2.4.30, which is what you get when you emerge vanilla-sources.

Anyway, that's been working very smoothly for me.

I'm having to do a PXE/DHCP/TFTP/NFS boot to bootstrap my embedded
device. If I wrote up a bit on how to go about doing this, would
someone integrate this into the Gentoo Embedded Howto?

Joshua ChaitinPollak
Software Engineer
Kiva Systems