From: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>
To: david@×××××××××.com
Cc: AJ Armstrong <aja@g.o>, Embedded Gentoo Mail List <gentoo-embedded@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] base-layout lite
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 11:59:21
On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 13:08, david@×××××××××.com wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 12:04:35PM -0700, AJ Armstrong wrote: > > On 2 Dec 2003 11:44, david@×××××××××.com emitted: > > > > > ex: do we really need 500 lines of bash sourced so we can have colored > > > [ OK ] > > > I don't think this is really necessary. > > > > Not only is it unnecessary, but I think it is _wrong_ if the code is running > > in an embedded environment. I think we should be starting with what is > > absolutely required for a system to boot as the baselayout - no frills, no > > pretification. Those could perhaps be build as optional ebuilds that can be > > emerged _after_ baselayout for those whose target platforms can support them.
I agree with this. I'm thinking that baselayout-lite would probably just have one init script, rc.sysinit or the like. There's not very many systems that would have/need additional runlevels. So a good place might be to extract stuff out of /sbin/rc, and other regular baselayout scripts and merge into one script. Solar has also suggested looking at the buildroot baselayout, but I have been bogged down by my classwork, so I haven't looked yet.
> Well I'm not sure where to draw the line... > do we want to still have /var/run PID functionality for example ? Or should we > leave that up to the embedded user... it could most likely be > implemented in a few lines of bash. > > or maybe some sort of busybox like funcitonality with symlinks... i.e. > > /etc/init.d/busyinit > /etc/init.d/network -> /etc/init.d/busyinit
This is another good idea :) Especially since busybox is most likely going to get heavy use. /var/run may or not be around; with something real simple, without the classic /etc/init.d services, it probably doesn't need to. -- Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o> Developer, Hardened Gentoo Linux Embedded Gentoo Linux Public Key: Key fingerprint = B0E6 877A 883F A57A 8E6A CB00 BC8E E42D E6AF 9243

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-embedded] base-layout lite Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
Re: [gentoo-embedded] base-layout lite "Peter S. Mazinger" <ps.m@×××.net>