From: Jason Cooper <gentoo@××××××××××.net>
To: solar@g.o
Cc: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] 2.6.9 compile from stage3-ppc-uclibc-2004.3.tar.bz2 chroot on embedded board.
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 16:00:42
1 Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 16:39, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 >
4 >>On Wednesday 10 November 2004 04:23 pm, Jason Cooper wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>unfortunately, the kernel is being a pain. I compile it with the native
7 >>>compiler supplied by the stage3 (for simplicities sake). Unfortunately,
8 >>>none of the following files are recognized by the bootloader as valid
9 >>>kernels:
10 >>
11 >>ive built kernels in uclibc before, but only on arm ... all my other work has
12 >>been as chroots on a host glibc system
13 >>
14 >>i'll see if i cant test ppc on my tibook
15 >>
16 >>also, one thing you might want to try for getting the kernel size down is
17 >>stripping the comment sections ... that helps on sparc
20 > In 2.4.x uclibc buildroot has a patch which allows the kernel to be
21 > compilied with -Os vs the default of -O2. I think this option went into
22 > mainline with 2.6.x (maybe called enable features for embedded)
23
24 Thanks for the pointer. Unfortunately, I wasn't clear on where my
25 problem is. :(
26
27 I did succeed in getting the kernel small enough, however, the board's
28 bootloader doesn't recognize the kernel as being a valid kernel image.
29 I tried every image I listed in the OP.
30
31 When building embedded ppc, is there some special thing to do to create
32 a proper kernel image?
33
34 Thanks, and sorry for the confusion.
35