From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Cc: "John L. Poole" <jlpoole56@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] initramfs help
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 04:08:33
1 On Thursday, December 09, 2010 18:51:39 John L. Poole wrote:
2 > I've created a topic "Help with initramfs for Marvell OpenRD-Client LE"
3 > in the forum, http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6511131.html#6511131,
4 > outlining what I have done and the failure I have met with:
5 >
6 > tftpboot 0x8000000 initramfs
7 > ...
9 > Bad Magic Number
10
11 initramfs is not a ramdisk. that is an initrd.
12
13 > My question that could be readily answered is: when preparing the
14 > initramfs for a staged tree at /usr/src/initramfs, is the command
15 >
16 > cd /usr/src/initramfs/
17 > find . -print0 | cpio --null -ov --format=newc | gzip -9 > [outputfile]
18
19 why dont you just build it into the kernel ? set CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE to
20 the path of your rootfs and let the kernel worry about making one.
21
22 otherwise, the only sane way is to use the scripts/gen_initramfs_lists.sh and
23 usr/gen_init_cpio helper utils in the kernel. mucking about yourself with
24 find/cpio/gzip is plain crazy.
25 -mike