From: david@×××××××××.com
To: gentoo-embedded@g.o, gentoo-dev@××××××××××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] glibc and standard baselayout minimalist installation
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 19:08:31
On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 02:05:54PM +0100, Vano D wrote:
> Hi all, > > I am happy to see that this project is getting started in such a > serious fashion. Let's hope the ride will be fun, exciting and > productive. > > I have played around with the suggestions on the gentoo-dev ml in order > to create a minimalist Gentoo install based on glibc and standard > baselayout and thought of sharing it. Although it is not really > complicated, I still have not seen any guides or scripts for this. The > script can also be used as step by step guide since it's fully commented > and there are explanations on what each step does. > > I also hope to see a subproject of gentoo-embedded be tiny gentoo > installations as someone suggested before (i.e. using glibc) for use > with bootable cdroms, small installations (solid state discs) and > portage-dev-less installations. And why not also include the process of > a bootalbe cdrom also in the subproject? Although I am aware it gets a > bit off-topic. >
I think you mentioned this on gentoo-dev but I'll bring it up here... For these embedded systems it would be nice if we had a baselayout-lite. I'm not convinced every init script for these tiny processors needs to source 300+ lines of bash functions to just provide colors and [ ok ] symbols ;-) Not that I mind it on my desktop machine... I've got gobs of cycles to spare. But where embedded devices are concerned, I want it to come up fast and provide me with just enough information to realize the code started up properly... -- gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-embedded] glibc and standard baselayout minimalist installation Vano D <gentoo-dev@××××××××××××××××.com>
Re: [gentoo-embedded] glibc and standard baselayout minimalist installation Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>