From: Mike McKay <mike@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] Create embedded OS, get paid, help Africa
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 15:02:02
1 I have been lurking for a while hoping that I would eventually find some
2 time to create an embedded Linux, but time seems to have run out, and
3 now I need help.
4
5 I work for Baobab Health Partnership (www.baobabhealth.org) which builds
6 computer systems for hospitals and HIV clinics in Malawi. Malawi is one
7 of the poorest countries in the world, has 2 million HIV positive
8 people, and just 100 doctors in the entire country. Our system uses
9 touchscreen computers to help clinicians serve more people and make
10 fewer mistakes.
11
12 Our hardware is based on donated iOpener computers
13 (http://www.ltsp.org/documentation/iopener.php). These are x86 systems
14 with an integrated LCD screen, 32MB of memory and 16MB of flash disk
15 space. We add a touchscreen controller and a few other components to
16 complete our hardware.
17
18 At the moment we are adding on a second flash disk and boot into windows
19 98 to run some VB apps that we have created. This is not the best
20 solution. :-)
21
22 Our goal is to have a customized embedded Linux on the iopener. Besides
23 the obvious need of supporting the hardware, we also need it to run a
24 modern (Ajax capable) web browser.
25
26 Various people have already managed to get Linux running on the device
27 (http://m4i.homeip.net/) but nobody has come up with exactly what we
28 need. I understand the web browser may be difficult, but the good people
29 at Opera have already expressed an interest in helping us out in case we
30 need them.
31
32 We have fundraised some money for this project, so we will be able to
33 pay the implementer. Ideally the person will be near to Pittsburgh,
34 Pennsylvania so that he/she can spend some time with Gerry Douglas our
35 hardware hacker, but if not we can probably work something out. (Being
36 near Malawi would be even better but not very likely)
37
38 Please get in touch if you are interested.
39
40 Cheers,
41 Mike McKay
42
43 PS Here is a video of our current system in action (registering
44 patients) in case you are interested:
45 http://www.vdomck.org/~crazy/PatientRegistration.mov
49 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list