From: Joshua ChaitinPollak <jpollak@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] profiles for reduced disk usage
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 15:54:10
1 Here's a response from a co-worker who has done some work on his EEE pc:
2
3 > Interesting stuff. As I understand it, with the Asus I've read that
4 > they've basically leveraged a write-balancing algorithm at the flash
5 > firmware level so that they fairly evenly distribute updates across
6 > the flash. So, bottom line, Asus doesn't worry too much about burn-
7 > in. They even ship with a writable ext3 partition, which would be
8 > really detrimental to disk due to the "duplicate write" overhead of
9 > continuous journaling (presumably in a fixed area of the disk?) if
10 > it weren't for the balancing logic.
11 >
12 > W.r.t. keeping log size down, I think Asus's build of Xandros has
13 > turned off a bunch of debug-level logging within most of their
14 > packages (at build time?) and as such doesn't really demand much
15 > disk for logging operations, etc.
16 >
17 > Same may apply to a Gentoo install - compile your stuff to not log
18 > at debug level (or turn off in syslog?) and you should be fine...
19 >
20 > One thing that I did observe when I started using external ext2/ext3
21 > partitions on the SD card slot was extremely lethargic writes. This
22 > was due to the fact that SD cards with ext2/ext3 partitions were
23 > being mounted with the 'sync' flag. From what I have read, this is
24 > extremely slow and extremely detrimental to flash. This is because
25 > every byte would be written individually, but due to the way flash
26 > works, you write a block at once. So, say the block size is 192
27 > bytes... To write 192 bytes with sync on could cause 192 flashes of
28 > the block (or some fraction/multiple of 192). With async enabled
29 > (sync not enforced) the OS is able to cache up some data before
30 > writing, dramatically increasing the likelihood that it will have
31 > enough data to fill the block in 1 single write operation.
32 >
33 > So, another tip for Gentoo users - make sure any ext2/ext3 flash
34 > partitions are mounted async (default) - not with the sync flag set
35 > like Xandros does by default with the SD card slot...
36 >
37 > -Andrew
38