From: Joe Sapp <nixphoeni@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] Audio on a 486
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 04:11:01
Hi all,

I've built a system using a uclibc stage1 tarball with the intention
of only running dropbear, boa, and some audio player on an old 486.
So far, it boots and I've got mplayer running using alsa as the audio
driver, but the audio is choppy at best (I've tried other audio
players with the same result).  It isn't caught up on buffering or
anything like that, just seems that the processor is "too slow" (but
I've played audio on it before when it ran Windows 95).  First, I
tried lowering the output sample rate, but that didn't fix anything.
I then switched to the OSS driver, which yielded some progress, but it
still remains choppy.

After doing some searches, it seems that I might have to fiddle with
the DMA settings of my audio card (an ALS100 ISA card).  Can anybody
give me a suggestion on what I can try other than this or how to do
something like this in the first place?

Joe Sapp

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-embedded] Audio on a 486 solar <solar@g.o>