From: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>
To: Embedded Gentoo Mail List <gentoo-embedded@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] new years jumpstart
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 05:45:18
Ok, well its been pretty quiet around here lately, mainly due to the
holidays.  But now that those are all done, I'm looking again to really
jumpstart the project.  I've been a little distracted on the cross
compiling and uClibc aspects of the project.  However these are going to
take some more time, especially the part with portage handling multiple
toolchains (need to get portage people on that, for one).

What we are getting is some more people interested in using Embedded
Gentoo, and as of late, a couple of users having some interesting
home-brew solutions with NFS.  So I am proposing that we move forward in
parallel with the current developments, and do some work with glibc.  I
know there are x86 embedded users, and there are some "bigger" devices
that use glibc.  Also, it might be possible to manipulate some
paths/variables to get portage to use cross compilers, so some cross
compiled stuff could be possible.

So, we can move forward and explore how exactly we want to create system
images, perhaps with emerge -B or ROOT=.  Gentoo_newb1e on IRC also has
been looking at using catalyst to generate images, which is a creative
solution.  There's also the pesky baselayout-lite stuff, still.

Ok, so that was a bit of a stream of consciousness.  Mainly we need to
get started with some other things, so we can see some more progress.
So I'd like to hear some comments here.  Also we should probably have
another IRC meeting some time after LWE.

Chris PeBenito
Hardened Gentoo Linux
Embedded Gentoo Linux
Public Key:
Key fingerprint = B0E6 877A 883F A57A 8E6A  CB00 BC8E E42D E6AF 9243