From: Heath Holcomb <hholcomb@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Creating a gentoo based system for embedded
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 13:55:11
1 I too have done research on Compact Flash cards, and have come to the same
2 conclusion.
3
4 My company uses Compact Flash (CF) as our storage for our OS and software on
5 our outdoor kiosk. Sadly I was forced to use Windows Embedded XP (XPe); the
6 software guys at my company are all windows guys (I'm a hardware engineer by
7 education and trade). Early on I did not use a "write filter"* on the
8 systems and I have had a couple of compact flash die because of to many
9 writes to the CF.
10
11 We also use DiskOnChips, which has had were leveling since the beginning of
12 there life.
13
14 You could partition the CF and mount the main partition read only and a small
15 partition read/write and have your application write to that partition only
16 when needed to store data. Or remount the root partition write only when
17 needed.
20 * the write filter is a XPe thing to limit the writes to the compact flash,
21 basicaly it creates a small ram disk and write are done there first and then
22 "flushed" to the compact flash later
26 heath holcomb