From: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] GPS board
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 15:06:40
1 On 04/16/12 08:42, Ed W wrote:
2 > On 14/04/2012 19:34, wireless wrote:
3 >> So, I'm looking at options to build/hack a
4 >> GPS device, combined with some sort of
5 >> embedded gentoo friendly Tablet.
8 >> I'm thinking of multiple channels
9 >> of audio output so it is a 5.1 mp3 player too,
10 >> for a boat or a RV or an car. Mobile so it can
11 >> be moved between vehicles with a quick connect
12 >> to sensors and speakers.
13 >
14 > Nokia N900 or new N9 (I have an N9, but the N900 probably has more
15 > hackers around it and cheaper second hand items)
16 >
17 > Build something around a gumstix - not that cheap, but I think they have
18 > all the bits ready to plug together. Probably low enough power you could
19 > battery power it
20 >
21 > Very easy to hack is a PC Engines Alix + laptop screen. (In some ways
22 > that's called a 1 laptop per child I guess.... Add that to the list)
25 Great ideas.
26
27 > Good luck finding a Gentoo friendly tablet? I would be interested if you
28 > find something?
29
30 First generation, I thinking Arm9, maybe a pandaboards with some LED
31 screen mounted together with 2" nylon standoffs. That way, when
32 I figure out how to add a board that receives and processes signals
33 from the depth finder, I can use 12 or 14 bit AD to input into
34 the panda board.
35
36 I may also rig a temperature sensor to the boat hull, or via a tether.
37
38 What concerns me about openstreetmap, is I had envisioned a system where
39 the database is downloaded to the operator's embedded system depending
40 on the anticipated area of local/regional travel, thus not having to
41 depend on constant/reliable internet access.
42
43 Sort of a GPS/nautical navigation system, under the control of the
44 operator. I'm still learning about openstreetmap so I have moved those
45 issues (as suggested by our Mike) to that forum, for now.
46
47 From my initial research so far, nothing exist for a marine
48 environment, so I'll most like roll-it, including some epoxy
49 coatings and daughter board on the first-gen effort.
50
51 My reason for using this list, is to flush out any gentoo-ish
52 common ground or any hardware suggestions; not an expose
53 on openstreetmap....
54
55 > Good luck
56 > Ed W
57
58 It's liable to be a few months to cmplete this research, but,
59 I'll post back, or drop you some private email, if you are the
60 only one interested in what I learn.
63 James