From: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] GPS board
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 15:06:40
On 04/16/12 08:42, Ed W wrote:
> On 14/04/2012 19:34, wireless wrote: >> So, I'm looking at options to build/hack a >> GPS device, combined with some sort of >> embedded gentoo friendly Tablet. >> >> >> I'm thinking of multiple channels >> of audio output so it is a 5.1 mp3 player too, >> for a boat or a RV or an car. Mobile so it can >> be moved between vehicles with a quick connect >> to sensors and speakers. > > Nokia N900 or new N9 (I have an N9, but the N900 probably has more > hackers around it and cheaper second hand items) > > Build something around a gumstix - not that cheap, but I think they have > all the bits ready to plug together. Probably low enough power you could > battery power it > > Very easy to hack is a PC Engines Alix + laptop screen. (In some ways > that's called a 1 laptop per child I guess.... Add that to the list) >
Great ideas.
> Good luck finding a Gentoo friendly tablet? I would be interested if you > find something?
First generation, I thinking Arm9, maybe a pandaboards with some LED screen mounted together with 2" nylon standoffs. That way, when I figure out how to add a board that receives and processes signals from the depth finder, I can use 12 or 14 bit AD to input into the panda board. I may also rig a temperature sensor to the boat hull, or via a tether. What concerns me about openstreetmap, is I had envisioned a system where the database is downloaded to the operator's embedded system depending on the anticipated area of local/regional travel, thus not having to depend on constant/reliable internet access. Sort of a GPS/nautical navigation system, under the control of the operator. I'm still learning about openstreetmap so I have moved those issues (as suggested by our Mike) to that forum, for now. From my initial research so far, nothing exist for a marine environment, so I'll most like roll-it, including some epoxy coatings and daughter board on the first-gen effort. My reason for using this list, is to flush out any gentoo-ish common ground or any hardware suggestions; not an expose on openstreetmap....
> Good luck > Ed W
It's liable to be a few months to cmplete this research, but, I'll post back, or drop you some private email, if you are the only one interested in what I learn. James

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-embedded] GPS board Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
Re: [gentoo-embedded] GPS board Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>