From: AJ Armstrong <aja@×××××××××××××.com>
To: Daniel <dragonheart@×××××××.au>
Cc: gentoo-embedded@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] uclibc buildroot ebuild progress / meeting reminder/ call for volunteers
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 22:41:29

On 26 Nov 2003 13:18, Daniel emitted:
> > > 1. What specific hardware you have? > > > > m68k-nommu (specifically, dragonball - M68VZ328 and M68EZ328) > > great. Variety is good. > > > > 2. What your interest in the gentoo-embedded project (pda / embedded > > > firewall routers / kiosk applications.....etc....)? > > > > Support for development boards used in teaching embedded development. > > Can you be a bit more specific? I'm not sure what your refering to here.
I teach an introductory course in embedded development at the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology. The NETdimm boards we use are a good fit hardware-wise, but the SDK is a bit antiquated (uClinux 2.0). Package management is also currently basically tarballs and makefiles. I'd like to see (say for next summer) a better solution. I should add that the manufacturers of my board are planning on shipping an updated SDK soon, but I'd still like to explore using an embedded gentoo solution in my classes.
> > > 3. Say your very keen to debug any ebuilds ;-) > > > > Love to, especially basic system, network daemons/apps > > Now that portage has been decided for the package management system are > there any applications you are interested that aren't in portage? Are you > keen to make some of them or at least list them for someone else to have a > go?
Once we have a base system up (cross compilers, toolchain, and basic fs), I'll start looking at some of the other things. I'll be happy to start contributing ebuilds for the things I want - like very low-footprint httpd, stuff from the uClinux userland collection, etc. Will give me an excuse to learn more about creating ebuilds.
> > > 4. Give your opinions and general ideas > > > > Will wait until I have a better idea of current direction. > > What do you think of the direction so far? >
Love it. Was all tingly and excited after the online meeting.