From: Janusz Syrytczyk <jsyrytczyk@×××××××××.pl>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] GNAP & vmware-server-console
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 09:15:44

I have created gnap based cd with X and some other packages, but the main goal
was to get vmware-server-console aplication working.

The problem is that I the app cannot find right libraries, and if it gets
them, complains about /tmp not writable. During last 4 days I did a few
things to get it work and still without results.

I can list libraries with ldd, so I simply put those libs to /lib, remastered
and restarted. Because of those libs X haven't started, so I thought the
solution would be chrooting in such way, where all directories but /lib is
the same as in gnap, and lib is /usr/local/lib where libraries for
vmware-server-console resides.

So I did like I thought, but then I got vmware-server-console error about /tmp
dir. I've consider a bug in the app, but maybe I did some obvious mistake
which you (all) could clarify to me. And one another thing: to make things
worse, vmware-server-console uses some script changing LD_LIBRARY_PATH for
their sake, so I'm not sure if it would help.

I wanted also to start the app using: --library-path
vmware-server-console, but... Standalone execution is not supported yet.

This is my post and reply on vmtn, with piece of strace and other information:

BTW: Xorg fails to compile on gnap when /usr/X11R6 is a directory. Instead I
needed create symlink to ../usr and create two other dirs: /usr/include/GL
and /usr/include/X11.

I would really appreciate any advice, thanks.