From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Licence compliance - capturing all source files used to make a build?
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 21:08:40

>> Whilst I guess it should be possible to tear apart catalyst and find out >> how they do it, does anyone happen to know or have a heads up on the code >> for catalyst? > The catalyst code has no part in this, but it takes a portage snapshot > as one of it's inputs, and if you maintain a custom snapshot (with > only packages you need) then you know what gets used. >
But not all the patches are in the portage tree? Trivial example might be the kernel where the ebuild is tiny and references an http location for the patches? My understanding is that for a GPL licence one should provide a copy of these patches in the "code dump", not just an http link? Is that your understanding? So by implication it's not clear that catalyst does satisfy your GPL requirements for distribution? I suspect something more is probably happening, eg some of the linked patches probably get included into the source download location and probably you can pick them up there - however, there are now a LOT of ways to fetching source and patches and it would be hard to be sure of 100% coverage? Has someone done some actual probing on this? Peter what does catalyst provide for say gcc/kernel sources in it's source output? All the patches? Cheers Ed W