From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Licence compliance - capturing all source files used to make a build?
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 21:08:40
1 Hi
2
3 >> Whilst I guess it should be possible to tear apart catalyst and find out
4 >> how they do it, does anyone happen to know or have a heads up on the code
5 >> for catalyst?
6 > The catalyst code has no part in this, but it takes a portage snapshot
7 > as one of it's inputs, and if you maintain a custom snapshot (with
8 > only packages you need) then you know what gets used.
11 But not all the patches are in the portage tree? Trivial example might
12 be the kernel where the ebuild is tiny and references an http location
13 for the patches? My understanding is that for a GPL licence one should
14 provide a copy of these patches in the "code dump", not just an http
15 link? Is that your understanding?
16
17 So by implication it's not clear that catalyst does satisfy your GPL
18 requirements for distribution?
19
20 I suspect something more is probably happening, eg some of the linked
21 patches probably get included into the source download location and
22 probably you can pick them up there - however, there are now a LOT of
23 ways to fetching source and patches and it would be hard to be sure of
24 100% coverage?
25
26 Has someone done some actual probing on this? Peter what does catalyst
27 provide for say gcc/kernel sources in it's source output? All the patches?
28
29 Cheers
30
31 Ed W