From: Hanni Ali <hanni.ali@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] reduced X11 - how to?
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 00:15:39
1 obviously select only the modular parts you actually need don't just emerge
2 xorg-x11 (this pulls down loads of unnecessary stuff)
3
4 determine the exact dependencies necessary
5
6 in addition to kdrive (which I'm not hugely familiar with but search "xorg
7 kdrive" on google and i found some useful mailing lists etc.) USE="minimal"
8 reduces unneceassary stuff i use minimal as a global for a lot of packages
9 when building livecd/usb's
10
11 I use gentoo-portage to check what use flags do, also actually reading the
12 ebuild in question can tell you a lot
13
14 http://gentoo-portage.com/x11-base/xorg-server/USE#ptabs
15
16 check the bottom of the page it mentions
17
18 *minimal*
19 Global: *Install a very minimal build (disables, for example, plugins,
20 fonts, most drivers, non-critical features)*
21
22 i haven't tried kdrive yet but will at some point
23
24 Hanni