From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] Licence compliance - capturing all source files used to make a build?
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 15:08:53
Hi, how do others handle open source licence compliance when building
some base system using gentoo?

In particular I guess simply capturing the ebuilds is not sufficient and
it's necessary to capture and distribute all the source and patch files
used to create a build.  The emerge tool doesn't obviously give a way to
capture this stuff.  I looked in the eclasses, particularly the epatch
file and I'm not clear that I can easily hook into that.

At the moment I'm using a bashrc file to grab everything from the build
directory.  This seems reasonably robust for source files.  However, for
patches I have considered creating a fake patch utility which would
record all the files it operates on.  Any other suggestions?  Perhaps
catalyst already has done something like that - not familiar with it though?

Whilst the above is largely targeting GPL type licences, are there other
things I should consider for other licences? Other things I need to
ensure I distribute for GPL? Any pointers to (simple) documentation on
how one can be a compliant open source citizen..?

Ed W