From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] Licence compliance - capturing all source files used to make a build?
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 15:08:53
1 Hi, how do others handle open source licence compliance when building
2 some base system using gentoo?
3
4 In particular I guess simply capturing the ebuilds is not sufficient and
5 it's necessary to capture and distribute all the source and patch files
6 used to create a build. The emerge tool doesn't obviously give a way to
7 capture this stuff. I looked in the eclasses, particularly the epatch
8 file and I'm not clear that I can easily hook into that.
9
10 At the moment I'm using a bashrc file to grab everything from the build
11 directory. This seems reasonably robust for source files. However, for
12 patches I have considered creating a fake patch utility which would
13 record all the files it operates on. Any other suggestions? Perhaps
14 catalyst already has done something like that - not familiar with it though?
15
16 Whilst the above is largely targeting GPL type licences, are there other
17 things I should consider for other licences? Other things I need to
18 ensure I distribute for GPL? Any pointers to (simple) documentation on
19 how one can be a compliant open source citizen..?
20
21 Thanks
22
23 Ed W