From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] frontend needed to make Gentoo/embedded a viability
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 11:30:45
1 On Saturday 12 August 2006 22:38, Yuri Vasilevski wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3 > > so i was tooling along the road thinking about what it would take for
4 > > people to sit down and use Gentoo/embedded for the target ...
5 > > currently we have misc ways of doing this by hand (install
6 > > mask/etc...), but it tends to be error prone and it requires the end
7 > > user to know more than they should about the portage environment
8 > >
9 > > what would help here is a frontend ... something like uClinux or Open
10 > > Embedded where a menu system allows the user to select the packages
11 > > to install into the target image and when they're done, they simply
12 > > type 'make' ... wait a bit and they're left with images that they can
13 > > take and flash onto the target board
14 >
15 > The way I see this, is that this is covered by buildroot, so it would be
16 > duplicating things at some level to do this with gentoo.
17
18 yes, we'd be replacing everything buildroot does that Gentoo doesnt already
19 do ... buildroot is really:
20 - cross-compiler selection / build
21 - package selection / build
22 - image generation
23
24 now, we already have the first part with crossdev ... the second part we
25 mostly have, just need a more user friendly interface
26
27 image generation isnt that big of a deal ... that's like running
28 `mkfs.<whatever>` on a directory
29
30 > > so really, a friendly frontend for the user to select the
31 > > characteristics of the system, and then a backend to take that config
32 > > and use emerge to build everything and generate an image ... would
33 > > make it easy to create stock board descriptions too ...
34 >
35 > But I think it would be really nice if we could teach catalyst to
36 > generate embedded images from some "board" spec files.
37 > And once this works, a fancy spec file editor with a nice gui could be
38 > written if needed.
39
40 we could take that route of teaching catalyst how to do cross-compiling rather
41 than reinventing the wheel
42 -mike