From: "Marius Schäfer" <mschaefer@×××××××.de>
To: solar@g.o
Cc: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage in Embedded Systems?
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 16:08:10
1 On Wednesday 06 October 2004 01:09, Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 23:33, Chris White wrote:
3 > > All,
4 > >
5 > > Maybe I've just not seen this, but what sort of footprint does
6 > > portage leave on embedded systems with low cpu/ram?
7 >
8 > I think what your asking about here is what we are starting to coin as a
9 > gentoo-lite system. A lot of people are gaining an interest in this.
10 > Running gentoo with portage on crappy old hardware. Or they just want
11 > the performance boast and lower memory usage. For a system like this I'd
12 > think you would want atleast a P75 with atleast 32M of of ram.
13 > Portage is not so big. But python itself is a beast.
14 >
15 > In one experiment I've managed to get pythons runtime down to about 2
16 > Megs of HD space. And in another experiment with the portage tree itself
17
18 How did you do that? I would be interessted very much because of an other
19 project of mine.
20
21 Thanks
22 Marius
23
24 > I managed to get it down to 14 Megs with the use of squashfs and
25 > excluding a few things from the tree which I know are not needed to do
26 > emerge system. But a full portage-rsync tree compressed was about 17
27 > Megs
28 >
29 > Now if we are talking embedded systems in the way I like to think of
30 > them (ie firmware) then the min requirements are about 4M of Ram and 3M
31 > of flash space using a semi default setup, give or take depending on the
32 > device your building for.
33 >
34 > > I ask this mainly
35 > > because it's a Good Thing To Know (tm) considering the last LWE
36 > > conference was full of people asking about using Gentoo for embedded
37 > > devices.
38 >
39 > portage needs work and a fair bit of it.
40 > Other than myself and mike more people need to propose ideas to the
41 > portage team to make things more flexible.
42 >
43 > > Something like higher end Palms may be able to dish it out,
44 > > but what happens when you get to lower end palms or even cell phones?
45 >
46 > What about them?
47 > Most cell phones are ARM based.
48 > Mike Frysinger is currently working on generic uclibc arm little endian
49 > stages. When he has those complete (and most of the bugs worked out)
50 > I'll start on generic uclibc arm big endian stages. When I have those
51 > complete and I'm happy with it I'm going to ship the device off to OSU
52 > so we can continue to support the arch from a (le||be) perspective. The
53 > unit I will be developing with is a nslu2 that was a donation to the
54 > gentoo embedded project thanks to the guys over at the nslu2-linux
55 > project (http://www.nslu2-linux.org/) who had a fund raiser in order to
56 > get me one. They ended up getting 9x the amount in donations needed to
57 > send me a unit and were able to send them to a number of other embedded
58 > projects.
59 >
60 > Unfortunately there are a few drawbacks to our embedded support right
61 > now.
62 > 1) Lack of skilled (wo)manpower.
63 > 2) Lack of proper cross-toolchain handling by portage. So everything is
64 > considered native-* vs cross-* (this means you must use the same host
65 > arch as your target arch) or use a binfmt_elf kernel module to emulate
66 > your target arch.
67 > 3) package management for embedded devices. (no all devices are
68 > read-only)
69 > - ipkg format seems ideal here but I/we have not enough input from the
70 > community to tell what will be ideal in the long run.
71 >
72 > If anybody that has a decent level of cross compiling experience and
73 > thinks that they would be interested in gentoo supporting better cross-*
74 > support please contact me. (seriously motivated people only)
75 >
76 > > Thanks ahead of time for any/all comments and hold on (*ChrisWhite
77 > > prepares fireproof suit)... and flames.
78 >
79 > hrmm flames.. none right now but as soon as I can think of something or
80 > get a blowtorch I'll be sure to direct it your way.
83 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list