From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded <gentoo-embedded@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] My OSCON Trip 2008
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 08:20:51
1 So I was at OSCON all last week. And I got to meet some really cool
2 people etc. Got a free Tattoo of a PCB on my calf from the good folks
3 over at SourceForge during the CCA awards.
4 http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=446724308362598359
5
6 Made a $50 personal donation to the awesome Open Source Labs.
7 http://osuosl.org
8
9 There was not a lot of embedded outside of the avr, arduino platforms
10 that I really saw. But I got a chance to talk with Vik Olliver and see
11 the really cool projects like the RepRap http://reprap.org in action and
12 making use of the arduino platform.
13
14 So I picked up one of the arduino starer kits from the Make: booth and
15 will be joining the realm of playing with micro controllers like a few
16 others of you out there.
17
18 The kit included the following items
19 1 x Arduino Diecimila, Kit fully assembled
20 1 x ProtoShield un-assembled
21 1 x Making Things Talk Book
22
23 I imagine they will become a bundle soon they will be selling directly
24 on the site.
25
26 http://www.makershed.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MKSP1
27 http://www.makershed.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MKAD6
28 http://www.makershed.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=0596510519
29
30 I then ran over to the radio shack and picked up the Parallax UltraSonic
31 PING sensor.
32 http://www.radioshack.com/sm-ultra-sonic-range-finder--pi-2909789.html
33
34 Also picked up a DIY Design Electronics Kit from Make: have have nearly
35 completed all of the projects in the accompanying book.
36
37 I'm not quite sure what I'm going to build yet . But.. Hey I'm having
38 fun. The chances of whatever I might do being 'solar' powered are pretty
39 high..
40
41 After the show at the "BeerForge" a sponsored event by the OSL among
42 others, I got a chance to meet one of the developers behind the BUG
43 http://www.linuxjournal.com/issue/172 where we discussed making Gentoo
44 Embedded a suitable/supported platform for development of the device.
45 "He Who lurks on this list" :)
46
47 I also got to meet one of our own Gentoo Embedded users who is working
48 on a Robot called W.A.L.T.E.R which I filmed about a 100M of till my
49 tiny camera's flash filled up. http://linbsd.net/~solar/pict0008.asf
50 One thing I have in common with the RobotGuy is that we are both
51 developing using the really cool NailKit's from TinCanTools.
52 http://www.tincantools.com/product.php?productid=16143
53 His blog site is http://www.thedynaplex.info/serendipity/
56 I'm sure there are lots of things I'm forgetting but I just thought I'd
57 share..
58
60 SideNote:
61 Anybody planning on attending LWE this year in San Francisco? Gentoo
62 wont be doing a booth this year but we can probably arrange an embedded
63 BoF..