From: "Lutz Schönemann" <lutz.schoenemann@××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] Bootloader for Embedded System
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 09:37:20
1 Hi,
2 I'm trying to get Linux running on a x86 embedded-system (Panel PC
3 "Atlas"). The os should be loaded from a CF-Card (CF-Card reader is
4 onboard and bootable). My current problem with it is that I don't know
5 how to get a bootloader installed on a CF-Card.
6 I have a Gentoo-Box (Toshiba Laptop) compiled for i386. The CF-Card is
7 connected via USB. When ever I install a bootloader on the CF-Card a
8 Dell laptop is able to boot from it but the embedded system doesn't do
9 it. It seems to be the problem that the two BIOS differ to much from
10 each other.
11 How can I install a bootloader that works on other hardware (with
12 different BIOS)?
13
14 Someone told me to build a very small kernel and put that into the
15 master boot record (must be smaller than 446 bytes). How can I do this?
16 I have deactivated nearly all features, compiled everything as module
17 that could be build as module but the kernel size is 627k !?!
18
19 For more information on the hardware:
20 http://www.kws-computer.de/ppcatlas.html
21
22 there is a link to the data sheet (Datenblatt)
23
24 Thanks for help
27 Lutz Schönemann
28
29 Addr: Fraunhofer Institut für Sichere Informations Technologie SIT
30 Rheinstrasse 75, 64295 Darmstadt, Germany
31 WWW: http://www.sit.fraunhofer.de
32
33 Zertifizierungen in der FhG: http://pki.fraunhofer.de
34 --