From: Jan Girlich <vollkorn@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] [gentoo-user-de] nss on arm - trying to use glibc
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 01:58:04
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Hi,
5
6 Mike Frysinger said:
7 > On Sunday 26 March 2006 09:42, Jan Girlich wrote:
8 >>
9 >> stage3-arm-20040510.tar.bz2
10 >> stage3-armv4l-2005.1.tar.bz2
11 >
12 > this are for little endian arm machines so unless you are byteswapping
13 > booting
14 > your slug into little endian format, that aint gonna work
15
16 I thought of something like this but I didn't know how to determine which
17 endian mode is used. Whatever, I tried to find some informations about
18 this issue and found this [1]:
19 "The primary reason for all this byteswapping is the bootloader is
20 expecting the kernel and initrd in BE format; but if thebootloader is
21 already in LE mode, we may be able to eliminate some of the byteswapping
22 steps."
23
24 Actually I would try another bootloader but I'm afraid of trashing my slug
25 and I don't know how I'm supposed to install gentoo this way.
26
27 I would really appreciate if someone could give me some good
28 link/documentation about big endian/little endian (I know what this this
29 in theory but not about the consequences and how to deal with this in real
30 life).
31
32 > glibc-2.3.6 or glibc-2.4 are your best bet ... glibc-2.3.5 for sure wont
33 > work
34 [...]
35 [ld error]
36 > if you want to hack around it for now, go into
37 > /usr/armeb-softfloat-linux-gnu/
38 > and run this:
39 > ln -s . armeb-softfloat-linux-gnu
40
41 In addition I noticed these three lines and tried to compile the glibc again.
42
43 * CBUILD: i686-pc-linux-gnu
44 * CHOST: i686-pc-linux-gnu
45 * CTARGET: armeb-softfloat-linux-gnu
46
47 This time I used this command:
48
49 CFLAGS="-march=armv5t -Os" CTARGET="armeb-softfloat-linux-gnu" \
50 CXXFLAGS="-march=armv5t -Os" ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~arm" emerge --nodeps \
51 =sys-libs/glibc-2.3.6-r3 -B
52
53 (note the CTARGET instead of CHOST)
54
55 And it works. Now I copied the tarball on my slug and emerged it. Then I
56 changed CHOST to armeb-softfloat-linux-gnu and tried to install nss_ldap.
57 But with the usual errors like this one:
58 ldap-nss.h:643: error: `NSS_STATUS' declared as function returning a function
59
60 I'll try some things and report again.
61
62 But thanks a lot so far!
63 Jan
64