From: "Morgan
To: "'gentoo-embedded@g.o'" <gentoo-embedded@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-embedded] real time linux
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 11:49:49
1 David,
2 I am also a relatively happy user of Timesys. Actually their toolchain,
3 libraries, and even thier optomized kernel are all free from thier website.
4 What will cost you is the RTOS extendsions, and the IDE which is very nice
5 and build on top of eclipse. Also they have decent support for some
6 questions. I have benchmarked thier kernel verses the vanilla kernel and
7 thier latencies are considerably lower. I believe they have a paper about
8 this on thier website also. (I do embedded video systems, their kernel had
9 firm enough latencies that we decided that we did not need the RT
10 extensions)
11
12 Austin Morgan
13
14 -----Original Message-----
15 From: David
16 To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
17 Sent: 5/12/2005 5:58 PM
18 Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] real time linux
19
20 >How do I no if need a real time OS?
21
22 Ask yourself the following questions:
23 Do you have hard real-time constraints? i.e.
24 Do you have a task that needs to run exactly every nth millisecond
25 (or microseconds)?
26 Do you have tasks that must run in under n milliseconds, every time?
27 Do you need to be able to determine and rely on the maximum time a
28 task may take?
29
30 If you answered yes to any of these questions you need a real-time
31 system.
32
33 I used milliseconds in the questions above, although technically
34 speaking, any time deadline (seconds, minutes, hours, days...) could be
35 considered a real-time constraint. However if your deadlines are that
36 long you probably don't need real-time capabilities.
37
38 And Heath, you are correct, stock Linux (even embedded) is not an RTOS.
39
40 There are real-time linuxes (?) out there that purport to support hard,
41 real-time constraints (eg timesys) similar to Lynx, vxWorks or
42 Integrity. I have worked with people who were using timesys's linux,
43 and they were largely happy with the performance (latency). I believe
44 you can get the timesys libraries for free, but the toolchains (cross
45 compiler, linker...) will cost you. There are free distros claiming
46 real-time, but I cannot comment on their performance.
47
48 David
51 Francisco Ares wrote:
52
53 >Anything in portage? Could not find it yet.
54 >
55 >And I have some doubts, if anyone could point me to some links,
56 >specially benchmarks, I would really appreciate:
57 >
58 >How do I no if need a real time OS?
59 >Should I rely only on the preemptibility of the 2.6 kernels?
60 >Which real time Linux flavor is best for which types of applications?
63 >Thanks a lot
64 >Francisco
69 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list
70 --