From: Christopher Friedt <chrisfriedt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] gcc-4.6 / bionic
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 15:05:13
1 Hi James.... I liked reading your reply....
2
3 On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 9:45 AM, wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > Ah grasshopper, you have *GROWN*!  I shall anticipate enjoying
5 > the stanza's of your music....
6
7 I don't know where you got the grasshopper bit from though... I've
8 been on this list for a looong time. I just choose not to talk much :)
9 Too many mailing lists... too little time!
10
11 Most of the embedded gentoo stuff I did was targeting armv4t, and the
12 company I did it for didn't actually sell devices, just services -
13 which meant that a lot of work I did wasn't legally required to be
14 made open-source. Thankfully, I no longer work for them and have much
15 better toys to play with now (e.g. beagle xM, panda, etc).
16
17 As for the BSD stuff, I agree. I think it's important to give back and
18 try to get bionic ELIBC to a somewhat stable level of support.
19 Naturally, that means being assigned bugs :P.
20
21 I would certainly be willing to 'own' some bugs within some reasonable
22 bounds (e.g. bionic's libstdc++ doesn't support exceptions... the
23 pthread lib doesn't support pthread_cancel). It's more or less
24 intended as a platform for managed code - .ie. Java. Although Python,
25 Mono, and Lua also work to some extent.
26
27 Linaro seems to want the bionic + gcc marriage to work too (i.e.
28 -mandroid), otherwise asac wouldn't have submitted patches for gcc.
29 Linaro has an army of engineers at their disposal and I would imagine
30 some of them probably use Gentoo too ;-)
31
32 C