From: Christopher Friedt <chrisfriedt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] gcc-4.6 / bionic
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 15:05:13
Hi James.... I liked reading your reply....

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 9:45 AM, wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
> Ah grasshopper, you have *GROWN*!  I shall anticipate enjoying > the stanza's of your music....
I don't know where you got the grasshopper bit from though... I've been on this list for a looong time. I just choose not to talk much :) Too many mailing lists... too little time! Most of the embedded gentoo stuff I did was targeting armv4t, and the company I did it for didn't actually sell devices, just services - which meant that a lot of work I did wasn't legally required to be made open-source. Thankfully, I no longer work for them and have much better toys to play with now (e.g. beagle xM, panda, etc). As for the BSD stuff, I agree. I think it's important to give back and try to get bionic ELIBC to a somewhat stable level of support. Naturally, that means being assigned bugs :P. I would certainly be willing to 'own' some bugs within some reasonable bounds (e.g. bionic's libstdc++ doesn't support exceptions... the pthread lib doesn't support pthread_cancel). It's more or less intended as a platform for managed code - .ie. Java. Although Python, Mono, and Lua also work to some extent. Linaro seems to want the bionic + gcc marriage to work too (i.e. -mandroid), otherwise asac wouldn't have submitted patches for gcc. Linaro has an army of engineers at their disposal and I would imagine some of them probably use Gentoo too ;-) C

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-embedded] gcc-4.6 / bionic wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
Re: [gentoo-embedded] gcc-4.6 / bionic Christopher Friedt <chrisfriedt@×××××.com>