From: joerg.faschingbauer@×××.at
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o, david.relson@×××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] USB Boot Problem
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 20:09:48
1 >>>>> "David" == Relson, David <david.relson@×××××××××.com> writes:
2
3 David> When I boot with "linux root=/dev/sda1", I get the following
4
5 David> VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown-block(0,0)
6 David> Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
7 David> partitions:
8 David> 0300 1000944 hda driver: ide-gd
9 David> 0301 142096 hda1
10 David> 0302 856800 hda2
11 David> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
12 David> unknown-block(0,0)
13
14 David> Evidently /dev/sda1 hasn't yet mounted. The boot process runs into the
15 David> same problem when I use /dev/sda or /dev/sda2 for "root=".
16
17 David> In the past I've seen similar kernel panics when the kernel lacks the
18 David> proper disk driver. Since the system boots fine from the DOM, I believe
19 David> my kernel has all the device drivers built in (except scsi_wait_scan.ko
20 David> which is a module).
21
22 David> How do I fix the boot problem? Anybody familiar with this problem and
23 David> have a recommendation or, even better, a solution?
24
25 You might want to pass "rootdelay=5" (seconds), or "rootwait" for
26 newer kernels (don't know when the latter was introduced).
27
28 Joerg