From: Kevin Winter <therebelcountry@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] frontend needed to make Gentoo/embedded a viability
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 00:15:32
1 On 8/12/06, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
2 > so i was tooling along the road thinking about what it would take for people
3 > to sit down and use Gentoo/embedded for the target ... currently we have misc
4 > ways of doing this by hand (install mask/etc...), but it tends to be error
5 > prone and it requires the end user to know more than they should about the
6 > portage environment
7 >
8 > what would help here is a frontend ... something like uClinux or Open Embedded
9 > where a menu system allows the user to select the packages to install into
10 > the target image and when they're done, they simply type 'make' ... wait a
11 > bit and they're left with images that they can take and flash onto the target
12 > board
13 >
14 > so really, a friendly frontend for the user to select the characteristics of
15 > the system, and then a backend to take that config and use emerge to build
16 > everything and generate an image ... would make it easy to create stock board
17 > descriptions too ...
18 >
19 > what do you guys think ? stupid idea ? good idea waiting for a champion ?
20 > -mike
21
22 I think thats an excellent idea. The current approach seems to use
23 ROOT= in order to install packages. I really like the idea of a
24 gentoo version of uclibc and such, almost like the linux kernel.
25
26 I'm currently planning to use embedded gentoo on an embedded project
27 (x86 board though), and a menu-driven selection of optional packages
28 would greatly simplify the process of generating new images.
29
30 Just my non-developer two cents.
31
32 ~Kevin