From: mjinks@××××××××.edu
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] dhcp across segments with dnsmasq?
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 02:06:39
1 On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 09:22:17PM -0400, wireless wrote:
2 >
3 > This cisco equipment could be filtering based on MAC addresses.
4
5 Good idea, but, nope.
6
7 > You could put one of the dhcp clients on the same LAN as the
8 > server and see if they work together.
9
10 They do. That was the "testing" to which I had (vaguely) referred.
11
12 > If they do, then your
13 > problem is your campus network security.
14
15 I really don't think so. Again, note the two packet dumps I posted
16 earlier. In both cases, we're on the same IP address, same physical
17 network cable; only difference is the switch from old RedHat/Dell to new
18 GNAP/WRAP. In both cases, networking in general works fine, inbound and
19 outbound connections work as expected, and the DHCP request packet gets
20 through. But, a dump of the DHCP packet on the RedHat box shows a lot
21 more data, including an ethernet address for the client, which isn't
22 present in a packet dump on the GNAP box.
23
24 While I've been in this business too long to say that anything is
25 impossible, it strikes me as highly unlikely that a network switch would
26 make a decision to edit packets like this based on the receiving end's
27 MAC address, unless the switch operater had some very specific measures
28 in place to make that happen. That's unlikely since the networking
29 folks are working with us on this, and saying that everything on their
30 end should be allowing what we want.
31
32 So, I'm still assuming the following:
33
34 - Both the RedHat and the GNAP box receive the same data from the wire;
35
36 - tcpdump functions equivalently on both GNAP and RedHat;[0]
37
38 - Somewhere between the wire and tcpdump, something in GNAP is
39 truncating the DHCP request packet, such that:
40
41 a) tcpdump shows different output, and
42 b) dnsmasq never sees the client MAC address, so (correctly) ignores
43 the request.
46 [0] This is the point that I currently see as the weakest in my
47 hypothesis. We had to do some semi-emergency backpedaling in order to
48 restore client services, so at the moment I don't have a GNAP machine
49 that I can use to run comparisons, so I don't know whether tcpdump
50 defaults to a shorter buffer size (or something) on GNAP than it does on
51 our old RedHat machine. I should be able to test again tomorrow.
54 Knowing that DHCP conversations are often confined to a single segment,
55 it wouldn't surprise me to learn that there's some kind of tunneling
56 operation necessary to get the broadcast DHCP request off the local
57 segment to where it needs to go, and it also wouldn't surprise me to
58 learn that the receiving end of that operation would be present in
59 glibc, but left out of uclibc as too rarely used to deserve the code
60 space. All this by way of explaining why I think it's more likely to
61 look at GNAP as the source of the packet differences, rather than some
62 Cisco arcana.
63
64 Maybe I'll go ask the uclibc folks if this is plausible, or if I'm just
65 confused.
66 --
67 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list