From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] crash proofing a system from power cutoffs
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 19:04:00
1 Kfir Lavi wrote:
2 > I'll need to crash proof a Gentoo system from electricity cutoffs.
3
4 Then you need backup power. There is no other solution.
7 > I have a system with 8GB of flash drive.
8
9 As others have indicated, the particular type of flash "drive" is
10 very significant, because the electronics between CPU and flash chip
11 is obviously in control of writing and caching. If you are using
12 anything other than an mtd interface then you have much worse odds of
13 being able to survive power loss.
16 > I created a small system ~100mb as the target system.
17 > I thought of creating 5 200mb paratitions of raid1. So 5 will be
18 > mirrored. What do you think of this solution?
19
20 RAID does nothing.
23 > Do you have more ideas how to keep the system intact ?
24
25 See above.
28 > I'm creating ext4 partitions, but would like to hear some opinions
29 > on that fileystem.
30
31 Without mtd you are in such a bad situation that it almost doesn't
32 matter what you do on top of the block device as long as it's
33 journalled.
34
35 Of course if all partitions are mounted ro then there is no problem.
36
37 If you need write then make sure to use mtd hardware and jffs2 or such.
40 //Peter