From: "Philippe Clérié" <philippe@××××.net>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] busybox + python questions
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 01:07:58
1 On Wednesday 09 August 2006 19:39, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 09 August 2006 18:36, Philippe Clérié wrote:
3 > > The default configuration of busybox (1.1.3) installs a /bin/bb
4 > > executable to which nothing apparently is linked. I renamed it, played
5 > > with a few applets and so far nothing is broken. What is that bb for?
6 >
7 > it's a standalone static rescue shell
8 >
9 > broken system ? boot with init=/bin/bb
10
11 :-) OK! Thanks.
12
13 >
14 > > I am discovering that python is really not something I might want
15 > > installed on a small system. The base package is about 22MB on disk. 2/3
16 > > of that it seems are pyc and pyo files. Plus there are quite a few
17 > > packages I don't anticipate needing. Can we reduce that footprint? Or do
18 > > I have to give up on python?
19 >
20 > it's your system so only you know if you really need python
21 >
22
23 I was hoping to do the web interface with python. I knew there was going to be
24 a penalty, I hadn't expected it to be so bad. I would like to stay under 16MB
25 for the root ramdisk, but it looks like it's damn near impossible with
26 python.
27
28 Time to look for alternatives.
29