From: David Bryson <mutex@g.o>
To: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
Cc: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>, gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] uclibc/busybox environment
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 18:28:55
1 On Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 02:00:41PM -0400 or thereabouts, Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > Indeed the embedded one could. I've mentioned this one to Chris before
3 > about it using glibc vs uclibc by default on IRC but I think he was in
4 > the middle of his work day. That profile was added long before we had a
5 > pretty decent uClibc native environments setup so a instantaneous switch
6 > might not be possible or we could break some existing users setups.
7 >
8 > But as I see things it stands right now the embedded profile target
9 > could be split up into glibc/uclibc subsystems. We could use these
10 > profiles for our vendor mini distros like soekris, wrt54g's. netwinders,
11 > nslu2, video systems, pbx systems, kiosk, dumb terminals, etc..
12 > However those profiles would have to be based on user/vendor submissions
13 > as our gentoo devs only provocatively support what we have hardware for.
14 > donations welcome be that time or hardware or documentation to help ease
15 > this maze of what we call embedded.
16 >
17 > But so far not a lot of effort has been put into this area of profiles
18 > because there has been lots of hurdles for us to overcome in the process
19 > of the development environment alone.
20
21 Yes solar is right.
22 I originally submitted the embedded profile as an example of something
23 i hacked together. I have a cascading one that isn't quite finished
24 yet, but hopefully in a week or so.
25 The point was to get *something* so that other people could see how
26 it's done, unfortunatly it has turned into bit rot.
27 In the next couple of weeks I'll post the profile and some patches for
28 catalyst that *really* help automation for embedded system building.