From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Cc: Joshua Pollak <jpollak@×××××××××××.com>, Kfir Lavi <lavi.kfir@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] What file system I should use with flash?
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 16:01:01
1 On Wednesday 09 August 2006 09:54, Joshua Pollak wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On Wednesday 09 August 2006 01:39, Kfir Lavi wrote:
4 > >> I have read about JFFS2 but it is not supported in gentoo (or is it?).
5 > >> What will be your recommendations for such filesystem?
6 > >
7 > > if you need rw, then jffs2 or yaffs2
8 > >
9 > > jffs2 is prob the easiest route since it's already in the kernel
10 > >
11 > > i dont know what you mean by "supported" as all you need is userspace
12 > > utilities to generate the jffs2 image (in the portage tree as mtd-utils)
13 > > and a kernel to mount it (in the mainline kernel)
14 >
15 > Do you use initrd to bootstrap, or do boot loaders like lilo and grub
16 > understand jffs2? I've been using ext2 on my CompactFlash simply because
17 > I'm too lazy and haven't had time to learn how to use initrd.
18
19 i havent used jffs2 on an x86 ... the embedded machines i play with use u-boot
20 which understands jffs2
21 -mike