From: Dean Ezra <dean@×××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] Chroot error: chroot: 'cannot execute /bin/bash: No such file or directory' on NSLU2 to Gentoo root
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 17:48:35

I am trying to follow the Wiki instructions for putting Gentoo onto
the NSLU2 at:

However, I am getting an error when trying to chroot into the gentage
stage that is on the USB disk.

I have burned the openslug firmware and created the root filesystem
(from the stage3 tar.bz2) and now have ssh login to nslu2.

But when I run the following commands:

# mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
# mount -o bind /dev/pts /mnt/gentoo/dev/pts
# mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
# cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/
# chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash

I get the following error on the last line (the chroot command)

chroot: cannot execute /bin/bash: No such file or directory

I have checked for /bin/bash, but it doesnt exist.

I have also tried using the 'sh' shell instead (which does exist as a
link to busybox). But I get the same error (but with sh not being
about to be executed).

Please can someone help?
If any of you have run through these steps, I would appreciate the help.

Thankyou in advance