From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] portage and scratchbox
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 17:31:44
1 On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 07:27 +0200, Pal Szasz wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > I'm porting linux to an embedded arm system. I'm using scratchbox to
5 > build applications, since it makes "porting" much easier (I just have to
6 > use the normal ./configure && make && make install mainly). However now
7 > I have about 30-40 packages built... and it's getting to be a real mass.
8 >
9 > I use gentoo on my desktop pc, and I like how portage works, so I try to
10 > use portage instead. But to minimize problems I'm thinking about using
11 > it inside scratchbox. Anybody has done that? Any docs about it?
12 >
13 > And one more question: I was thinking that I build the apps using
14 > portage, however to create actually the rootfs and maintaining the
15 > packages I would use a binary package manager.
16
17 not a problem really.
18
19 > Is there a script to make
20 > binary packages from all of the installed packages?
21
22 Yes.
23 1) qpkg from app-portage/portage-utils
24 2) quickpkg sys-apps/portage
27 > And maybe a "light"
28 > versions of portage which install binary packages only (which we could
29 > deploy on the target)?
30
31 qmerge from portage-utils was intended to do just this. But note be
32 careful. Cuz when it upgrades a package it removes it from the
33 filesystem then installs the new one. So best to avoid qmerging whatever
34 owns /bin/sh or libc on the embedded fs at runtime. I stick with using
35 the -O option.
40 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
43 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list