From: YoYo Siska <yoyo@××××××.sk>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] GPS board
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 12:07:41
1 On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 02:56:42PM -0400, wireless wrote:
2 > On 04/14/12 14:38, Peter Stuge wrote:
3 > > wireless wrote:
4 > >> I have not formally researched open source mapping efforts, so
5 > >> any feedback on that issue is keenly welcome.
6 > >
7 > > Start with http://openstreetmap.org/
8 > > //Peter
9 >
10 > EXCELLENT!
11 >
12 > OK so to help create maps, I'm think of designing (cobbling together
13 > initially) a gps, and a (water) depth reading output, so in a boat, I
14 > can begin mapping the near shore environment.
15 >
16 > How does open street map data get created and are there existing
17 > open source embedded boards one can buy, install in a car and help
18 > extend/enhance the data collected? Or, roll your own?
19
20 Most people around openstreetmap are software / geography people, so
21 they mostly use what's readilly awailable (GPS loggers, JavaME phones
22 some time ago, smartphones now). I've seen hardware projects on the
23 level "how to make a bike holder for XYZ" or "how to get a PDA and
24 logger work together and with a large battery". There's a hardware page
25 on the wiki [1] (if you haven't found it already), but it seem pretty
26 outdated. As osm is opensource centered, there are/were people playing
27 with open hardware / technologies stuff (openmoko phones, beagle/panda
28 board with a gps receiver etc...)
29
30 There's also a foss-gps mailing list [2], though IIRC there are mostly
31 software guys who talk about how to work with lower level GPS data.
34 > It seem they already have the land methodologies developed, what
35 > about near-shore marine? Any open source software efforts for that
36 > yet?
37
38 There are basically two distinct activities in OSM: the collection of
39 GPS logs/tracks and then the creation of the map/database itself based
40 either on those logs or any other freely available sources. For land
41 based information the elevation doesn't really get entered into the
42 database, mostly because it would be realy sparse and there is SRTM data
43 that's much better. I remeber some talk about an initiative to somehow
44 process the elevation data from the logs, but I'm not sure where it
45 ended.
46
47 Anyway I guess it would be different for marine data, which might be
48 more usefull... I guess you have to get in contact with people from
49 openstreet map interested in that. The OpenSeaMap page on osm wiki [3]
50 mentions even some mailing lists...
51
52 yoyo
55 [1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Hardware