From: YoYo Siska <yoyo@××××××.sk>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] GPS board
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 12:07:41
On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 02:56:42PM -0400, wireless wrote:
> On 04/14/12 14:38, Peter Stuge wrote: > > wireless wrote: > >> I have not formally researched open source mapping efforts, so > >> any feedback on that issue is keenly welcome. > > > > Start with > > //Peter > > EXCELLENT! > > OK so to help create maps, I'm think of designing (cobbling together > initially) a gps, and a (water) depth reading output, so in a boat, I > can begin mapping the near shore environment. > > How does open street map data get created and are there existing > open source embedded boards one can buy, install in a car and help > extend/enhance the data collected? Or, roll your own?
Most people around openstreetmap are software / geography people, so they mostly use what's readilly awailable (GPS loggers, JavaME phones some time ago, smartphones now). I've seen hardware projects on the level "how to make a bike holder for XYZ" or "how to get a PDA and logger work together and with a large battery". There's a hardware page on the wiki [1] (if you haven't found it already), but it seem pretty outdated. As osm is opensource centered, there are/were people playing with open hardware / technologies stuff (openmoko phones, beagle/panda board with a gps receiver etc...) There's also a foss-gps mailing list [2], though IIRC there are mostly software guys who talk about how to work with lower level GPS data.
> It seem they already have the land methodologies developed, what > about near-shore marine? Any open source software efforts for that > yet?
There are basically two distinct activities in OSM: the collection of GPS logs/tracks and then the creation of the map/database itself based either on those logs or any other freely available sources. For land based information the elevation doesn't really get entered into the database, mostly because it would be realy sparse and there is SRTM data that's much better. I remeber some talk about an initiative to somehow process the elevation data from the logs, but I'm not sure where it ended. Anyway I guess it would be different for marine data, which might be more usefull... I guess you have to get in contact with people from openstreet map interested in that. The OpenSeaMap page on osm wiki [3] mentions even some mailing lists... yoyo [1] [2] [3]